In 648, Prince Li Zhi commissioned Daci’en Temple as a memorial after the death of his mother, Empress Zhangsun. The name means Great Maternal Love. He became Emperor Gaozong of Tang the following year. During his 34-year rule over the Tang dynasty, this imperial temple grew to 1,897 rooms covering 66 acres. When it was reconstructed in 1466 during the Ming dynasty, the property shrunk to 12.5 acres. Yet it remains one of China’s most revered Buddhist temples. There are nine pagodas at this UNESCO World Heritage Site. The visual highlight is the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda.