Facing St. Dunstan’s Basilica Cathedral are mid-19th century rowhouses painted in a rainbow of pastel colors. Each has a plaque displaying the name of the original resident. For example, the ochre Perkins House was constructed in 1843 for a shoemaker named Hugh Perkins. Although they appear to be separate units, they are part of The Great George Hotel. In 1990, a pair of developers purchased 15 buildings on the block. Then, they restored them so the facades reflected their heritage style yet the interiors were rebuilt to accommodate guest suites. The highly-rated boutique hotel opened in 1996.