The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland. As fate would have it, the cathedral had to be built twice because the fire in 1866 destroyed the nearly-completed first version. This structure was consecrated in 1869. The magnificent spire soars 204 feet. This height qualifies the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception as the tallest building in Portland and number two in Maine. The Gothic Revival style was created by Patrick C. Keely. The Irish-born architect is credited with designing over 500 churches – predominately along the Eastern Seaboard – during the second half of the 19th century. Guided tours of the cathedral are available on the first Sunday of each month.