The first Catholic Mass on Grenada was celebrated by a French Dominican priest in 1650. Several churches were built and replaced on the island during the balance of the 17th century and during the 18th century. In 1804, after the British allowed Catholics to practice their faith again, a small chapel honoring St. James was built on a hill overlooking the city. It was replaced by the Immaculate Conception Cathedral. This is the Mother Church of the Catholic Diocese of St. George’s-in-Grenada. The Gothic Revival cathedral dates from 1848. The 100 foot bell tower was finished in 1818. About a third of the island’s population is Catholic.