During the late 17th century, a church and hospital were built dedicated to Francis of Paola. He was a 15th century friar who founded the Roman Catholic Order of Minims. After he was canonized in 1519 – twelve years after his death – he became a patron saint of boatmen and mariners. After the initial church was destroy in a hurricane, it was replaced in 1740 with Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula (not to be confused with the similar named basilica nearby). The Baroque, cross-shaped structure is adjacent to Alameda de Paula promenade near the waterfront. The building is now a concert hall for classical music.