An architectural cornerstone of Széchenyi Square is the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The Renaissance Revival design by Fredrich Stüler was built in 1865. The mission of this national academy is to monitor, promote and cultivate eleven scientific disciplines. These include linguistics, history, medicine, engineering and biology. The prestigious learned society was founded in 1825 by István Széchenyi. The count was the same influential politician who spearheaded construction of the Chain Bridge where the couple is sitting.