The original resident of this 18th century palace on Plaza de San Francisco was Don Sebastian de Peñalver. In the following century, the mansion was occupied by Juan Clemente Núñez del Castillo and Molina, the Fourth Marquis of San Felipe and Santiago. This was a title of nobility granted by King Felipe V in 1713 for establishing part of Cuba for the Spanish crown. In 2010, after an extensive renovation of the Baroque building, a luxury hotel opened. It retained the historic name of Palacio del Marqués de San Felipe y Santiago de Bejucal.