The Law Courts Building was designed by architect Thomas Alley and opened in 1876. For a century, the Italianate style brick building housed the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island. After a devastating fire in 1976, the interior was gutted, restored and accommodated various providence government offices. It was also renamed in honor of George Coles. He was the first Premier of Prince Edward Island from 1851 until 1859 and again in 1867 to 1869. The Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island temporarily met here while the Province House was closed for renovation.