Holy Cross Church was built in 1150 at the edge of Vågen bay. It is now about a block from the waterline. The name stems from a relic of the True Cross once housed inside the parish church but stolen by the Danes during the 16th century. Korskirken has suffered from seven fires during its 870 plus years of history. The previous twin wooden towers were destroyed. The current single tower was added in 1743. Inside the belfry are three bells. Two of them were cast in Amsterdam in 1707. Formerly a Catholic church, Holy Cross became affiliated with the Church of Norway in 2002 as part of the Lutheran Diocese of Bjørgvin.