Hobart Town Hall in Hobart, Australia

Hobart’s metropolitan area is managed by five local government areas. The largest is the City of Hobart with about 50,000 people. The headquarters for their city council is Hobart Town Hall. Construction began in 1864 after the Government House that occupied this prominent land on Macquarie Street was torn down. The Neo-Renaissance façade by architect Henry Hunter was finished in 1866. Inside is a lush, Victorian auditorium with an ornate ceiling, crystal chandeliers, an 1868 pipe organ from Suffolk, England and seating for 300.

VIEW MAP

50 Macquarie St, Hobart TAS 7000, Australia

Directions

Share this Photo