History of the House of Waterford Crystal in Waterford, Ireland

The House of Waterford Crystal is revered worldwide for the quality of its cut glass. The company was founded as the Waterford Flint Glass Works in 1783 by George and William Penrose. It flourished until a high duty was imposed in the 19th century, forcing it to close in 1851. Charles Bacik reopened the business about 100 years later. During this period, Miroslav Havel created the Lismore pattern. The elegant design is still the company’s top seller. In 1986, the company acquired Wedgwood, the manufacturer of blue and white bone china. Despite its success, it went into receivership in 2009. Fortunately, it began its next beautiful chapter the following year by opening a manufacturing facility and retail store in the center of the city that shares its name. In 2015, Waterford was purchased by the Finnish-based Fiskars Corporation.

VIEW MAP

28 The Mall, Waterford, Ireland

Directions

Share this Photo