While Imagawa Norikuni was shogun of Suruga Province (present day Shizuoka Prefecture) during the 14th century, he built a fortification here. Starting in 1585, Tokugawa Ieyasu (who founded the 300 year Edo Period of Japanese rulers) began transforming it into Sunpu Castle. By the early 17th century, Sunpu-jō had a system of moats and a keep to protect his palace. It soon burned down but was elaborately rebuilt. At the start of the Meiji Restoration (1868), when the Tokugawa shogunate ended, Sunpu Castle ceased to be their residence. In 1889, the property was donated to Shizuoka City. From 1896 until 1949, it served the Imperial Japanese Army. Then the ruins of Sunpu Castle became a free park. A few structures were historically recreated in the 1990s. On the left is Tatsumi Yagura. The tower’s name means armory (arrow storage) in southeast corner. On the right is the East Gate.