St. Vitus Cathedral is the country’s largest and most impressive religious structure. Its origin dates back to the first church built on this site in 930. It was replaced in 1060. The current structure began in 1344 and became the passion of Charles IV during his reign from 1346 until 1378 while the King of the Romans and Bohemia. Much of its Gothic design is attributed to Matthias of Arras. When he died, the massive project was assigned to 23 year old Petr Parléř, the same architect entrusted to build the Charles Bridge and Old Town Bridge Tower plus layout the New Town of Prague. Progress stopped during the Hussite Wars (1419 – 1434) and would not resume for over 400 years. These twin towers were among the last features to be added. In 1929, the construction of St. Vitus Cathedral was declared finished – 585 years after it began.