There is evidence of a previous church here during the 10th century dedicated to Saint Nicholas of Myra. In 1520, another church was established by the pope for a community of stonecutters from northern Italy (Lombardy) while they were working on the Sistine Chapel. They named it Santi Niccolò ed Ambrogio in honor of their patron saint, Ambrose of Milan. Its replacement required 72 years to construct, from 1612 until 1684. Then it was renamed Sant’Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso to recognize both Saints Ambrose and Charles Borromeo.