History of Shimizu Port in Shizuoka, Japan

The history of Shimizu Port dates back to the 600s. One hundred years later, shipping in the natural harbor grew significantly during the Edo period (1603 – 1868) when it became a port for the Tokugawa shogunate navy. During the 19th century, it boomed again as an export center for green tea and fresh fish. In 1899, it was modernized and officially became known as Shimizu Port. This sculpture was raised to help celebrate the port’s centennial. Today, its 100 wharfs handle over 15 million tons of cargo annually plus an increasing number of cruise ships.

VIEW MAP

Shinminatocho, Shimizu Ward, Shizuoka, 424-0824, Japan

Directions

Share this Photo