In 1766, this cove was called Eastern Point Harbour. Other maps listed the name as Peggs Harbour. The village was formally founded in 1811 when King George III of the United Kingdom granted land to a handful of German immigrants. They soon established farms across 800 acres and began fishing in the Atlantic Ocean. The idyllic village seems suspended in a time warp. This is no accident. In 1962, a law was passed with strict limitations on development and real estate transactions. Most of the families have lived here for centuries. They steadfastly maintain the ways of their ancestors.