History of Málaga Cathedral in Málaga, Spain

Málaga Cathedral was created over 280 years with plenty of interruptions. It remains unfinished. Here is a brief chronology. Soon after the Catholic Monarchs conquered Málaga in 1487, the Aljama Mosque was converted into Santa Maria de la Encarnación (Saint Mary of Incarnation). At the end of the 16th century, the monarchs wanted a grand replacement. Work began in 1500. Within a decade, this northern Gothic entrance was complete. It is named Puerta de las Cadenas (Gate of the Chains). On the south side is a similar entrance called Puerta del Sol (Sun Gate). In 1525, the project was deemed too expensive and paused. Then the famous Renaissance architect Diego de Siloé was commissioned to create a new Renaissance design. In 1588, construction was halted again and the cathedral was consecrated. Work resumed during the 17th and 18th century until 1782. Apparently, the money earmarked for construction helped finance the Revolutionary War leading to the United States’ independence. As a result, only one of the two planned bell towers were built. The locals nickname for the Cathedral of Málaga is La Manquita. This means One-armed Lady.

VIEW MAP

Calle Molina Lario, 9, 29015 Málaga, Spain

Directions

Share this Photo