History of Main Guard Building in Valletta, Malta - Encircle Photos

16 History of Main Guard Building in Valletta, Malta

When Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt of the Knights Hospitallers commissioned this building at the turn of the 17th century, it housed the Regimento di Guardia who safeguarded his palace across St. George’s Square. Shortly after the United Kingdom became the Protectorate of Malta, they added this neo-classical portico in 1814. It was then named The Main Guard and stationed sentinels for the British Governor. It currently is an annex for the Attorney General’s Office.

VIEW MAP

St George’s Square Republic St, Valletta, Malta

Directions

Share this Photo