The first tower built along the bluff overlooking the River Nore was a motte and bailey design constructed towards the end of the 12th century by Richard de Clare. Also known as Strongbow, he was a Norman lord and the 2nd Earl of Pembroke. His son-in-law and very successful knight, William Marshall, is credited with building this marvelous castle. It was finished in 1219, six years before he died as the British Isles’ second richest man. After a period of ownership by Gilbert De Bohun, the elaborate citadel transferred to James Butler in 1391. The Butler family maintained ownership until Arthur Butler sold it to the city in 1967. The rose garden in the foreground is part of the 49 acre estate.