The history of Butchart Gardens is as interesting as the property is beautiful. Surprisingly, this all began as a depleted limestone pit. In 1888, Robert Butchart started a cement business. His main quarry for materials was at Tod Inlet. In 1904, he and his wife Jennie built a home here. They named it Benvenuto. This is Italian for welcome. Within a few years, the limestone deposit ran dry, leaving a gaping hollow behind their house. The vast emptiness inspired Jennie to plant flowers. They soon blossomed into her passion. She first finished the Sunken Garden. In the ensuing years, she created four more gardens, each with its own theme. Jennie also created a lasting family tradition. Butchart Gardens is still managed by her descendants.