This land was occupied by indigenous people named Anishinaabe during the late 18th century. In 1790, the property (called Burlington Heights today) was purchased by Richard Beasley for a fur trading post and homestead. During the War of 1812, the area was occupied by British soldiers. In June of 1814 – a few months before the war ended – 19 men were charged with treason for aiding and abetting the Americans. Eight were brutally executed in an event called the Bloody Assize of 1814. There unmarked graves are presumed to be near here. After the war, Richard Beasley continued to be the landowner until the mid-1830s when he sold the land to Sir Allan MacNab. MacNab then tore down Beasley’s home in order to build Dundurn Castle across York Boulevard. In 1847, MacNab sold about 100 acres to Christ Church Cathedral for use as a public graveyard. The city assumed control of Hamilton Cemetery in 1850. This chapel was built 15 years later.