Side-by-side on Plaza Degetau are two of Ponce’s historic financial structures. On the left is the former headquarters of Banco Crédito y Ahorro Ponceño. It was founded in 1895 and became the island’s largest credit and savings bank with over 50 branches. After collapsing in 1978, it was acquired by Banco Santander. On the right is the Banco de Ponce building. This institution started locally in 1917 and grew across Puerto Rico with branches in the United States. It merged with Banco Popular in 1990. Both landmarks were built in 1924.