Hill of Santa Catarina in Santos, Brazil

Hill of Santa Catarina is considered the origin of Santos. Two successive chapels were here, both honoring Saint Catherine of Alexandria, a 4th century martyr. The first was built by Luís de Góis in 1532. After it was destroyed by English pirate Thomas Cavendish in 1591, a replacement was constructed by Father Alexandre de Gusmão. During the late 19th century, the small church was torn down. In 1900, the hill became the residence of Dr. João Éboli. After decades of deterioration, Outeiro de Santa Catarina was restored in 2000. The historic property houses the Santos Archive and Memory Foundation.

VIEW MAP

R. Visc. of Rio Branco, 48 - Centro, Santos - SP, 11013-030, Brazil

Directions

Share this Photo