The River Liffey flows for over 80 miles before bisecting Dublin on its course to the Irish Sea. Prior to the 19th century, a ferry was required to cross it. When the fleet operated by William Walsh became derelict, he was told to repair them or build a pedestrian bridge. He chose the latter on condition he could charge a toll for the next 100 years. The cost to walk across the 141 feet was a ha’penny. This is how the bridge got its nickname, despite its correct name of the Wellington Bridge when it opened in 1816 and the renaming to the Liffey Bridge 20 years later. Two weeks before this photo was taken, a procession of dignitaries crossed Ha’penny Bridge to celebrate its bicentennial.