Halifax City Hall has anchored the north end of Grand Parade since 1890. This is the meeting place and offices for the sixteen member Halifax Regional Council plus the mayor. The distinguished clock tower stands seven stories. The north-side clock is fixed at 9:04. This was the moment on December 6, 1917, when two ships collided in the harbor. The Halifax Explosion devastated the city and claimed the lives of about 2,000 people. The 20 foot high arch in the foreground is the Fallen Peace Officers’ Memorial.