The Great Throne Room of the Winter Palace was initially created by Giacomo Quarenghi in 1795 then rebuilt after the disastrous fire in 1837. Also called St George’s Hall, the enormous room is lined with Carrara marble columns of the Corinthian order. At the far end is the gilded throne. The emblem with the double-headed eagle holding the imperial scepter and orb is Russia’s coat of arms. On top is the Imperial Crown of Russia, introduced at the coronation of Catherine the Great in 1762. This room in the Winter Palace connects with The Hermitage. Elsewhere in the Winter Palace is the Peter the Great Room, also called the Small Throne Room.