Tacón Theatre has occupied this site across from Parque Central since 1838. In 1915, when this grand edifice by architect Paul Belau was added, it became the Palace of the Galician Centre. Although that is still the official name, the performing arts venue has been commonly called the Great Theatre of Havana since 1985. The elegant, white marble façade features statuary representing music, theater, education and charity along the first-level balustrade. Gran Teatro de La Habana Alicia Alonso hosts operas and dances by the Cuban National Ballet Company within its 1,500 person capacity García Lorca Auditorium.