During the Danish control of Saint Croix, the Government House was home for the governor of the Danish West Indies plus municipal offices. In 1871, after the capital moved from Christiansted to Charlotte Amalie in Saint Thomas, this historic building served the island administrator. That role ended in March of 1917 when the Danes sold Saint Thomas, Saint John and Saint Croix to the United States, forming the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Government House was created by merging two mansions along King Street with a connecting gallery. The Schopen Wing (shown here) was constructed in 1747. The Sobotker Wing was finished fifty years later. After an extensive renovation, the Government House was filled with period furnishings. The National Historic Site is now home to the governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands and his family.