In 1789, 100 acres facing the harbor were designated by Lieutenant Governor Edmund Fanning to be the future residence and farm for the governor of St. John’s Island (Prince Edward Island since 1799). The land was called Fanning’s Bank. His vision was not realized until the Government House was finished in 1834. The Palladian Georgian style, wooden building sits on ten acres adjacent to Victoria Park. It is the residence of the province’s lieutenant governor. Technically, the Government House is owned by the United Kingdom monarch. Therefore, it provides accommodations for the royal family during their visits to Prince Edward Island.