Although ornamental gardens were planted and cultivated at Port Arthur during its initial years, they were not a priority until William Champ became the penal colony’s commandant in 1844. Developing the Government Gardens was his passion. Countless flower seeds and bulbs were imported from the United Kingdom and other countries. A variety of trees were planted, including a willow cutting from near Napoleon’s grave. Walkways were created. In the center, Champ installed this fountain and a canal to source the water. In 1849, he became a founding member of the Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture and Botany. By the time he left in 1853 and later became the 1st Premier of Tasmania in 1856, the gardens had become an oasis of tranquility. His successor, James Boyd, continued manicuring the gardens while Commandant of Port Arthur through 1871.