There is something inherently attractive about a flatiron building. The Gooderham Building is a magnificent example. In 1881, George Gooderham Sr., the powerhouse behind the rapid growth of the Gooderham and Worts Distillery, commissioned architect David Roberts Jr. to design this as the company’s headquarters. The architect gave the wedge-shaped, five-level office space a Gothic Romanesque style. It remained in the family until 1957. Today, the redbrick building’s 55 foot height is dwarfed by some of the skyscrapers in the Financial District. Yet the Gooderham Building commands some of the highest rent in the city. The landmark has been designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.