When this cathedral was built in 1136, it served the Roman Catholic community. It was dedicated to Saint Mungo, Glasgow’s founder and patron saint. His tomb is inside. The saint is credited with building the first church on this site in 550 AD. After the Scottish Reformation in 1560, when Catholics lost their rights in Scotland, this medieval cathedral lay empty for about 20 years. The ornate, Scottish Gothic building is now part of the Church of Scotland.