General Staff and Ministries Buildings in Saint Petersburg, Russia - Encircle Photos

2 General Staff and Ministries Buildings in Saint Petersburg, Russia

The General Staff and Ministries Buildings were designed by Carlo Rossi during the Russian Empire style. When the two wings of this Neoclassical structure were finished in 1829, it became the 1,902 foot, concave perimeter of Palace Square opposite Winter Palace. This complex is now part of the Hermitage Museum. In the center is a triumphal arch celebrating Russia’s defeat of the French in 1812. On top is Chariot of Glory, a horse-driven carriage ridden by Victoria, the goddess of victory, flanked by two Roman soldiers. In antiquity, this type of sculpture was called a quadriga by the Romans or a tethrippon by the Greeks.

VIEW MAP

Palace Square, 10, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, 191186

Directions

Share this Photo