The original lighthouse at the west end of Martha’s Vineyard was built in 1799. It was replaced in 1856 by this 51 foot, brick tower called the Gay Head Lighthouse. After decades of erosion had eaten away at the Grey Head Cliffs, the Aquinnah Lighthouse was in danger of collapsing. $3.5 million was raised to save this local landmark. In 2015, it was moved 129 feet uphill. The Gay Head Lighthouse should not need to be relocated for another 150 years.