Galleria in Piazza Colonna opened in 1922 based on the Art Nouveau design of architect Dario Carbone. The arcade introduced an exciting level of elegance for shoppers. Inside are wide, beautifully appointed concourses that converge in the center. They are decorated with carved chestnut wood and marble flooring. The boutique retailers are located on the first floor with office space on the upper four levels. After an extensive renovation in 2003, the mall was renamed Galleria Alberto Sordi in honor of a famous Italian actor who died the same year.