The Franciscans arrived in Dublin around 1230. During the next century, the Catholic order established more than 45 friaries across Ireland. The first in Adare was sponsored in 1464 by Thomas Fitzgerald, the 7th Earl of Kildare, while he was the Lord Chancellor of Ireland (the highest judicial official office). It was dissolve by Henry VIII in 1540 during the Reformation when all monasteries were forced to close. This friary opened again in 1633 but not for long. Several friars were killed when the monastery was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell’s troops in 1646.