Franciscan Friary Church Tower in Waterford, Ireland

Most tourists visit the ruins of the Greyfriar’s French Church (see photos in this gallery) and learn how they were expelled during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the mid-16th century. Despite hundreds of years of persecution, a community of Franciscans persevered. They built a chapel along Lady Lane in 1830 and then enlarged and renovated it several times during the next one hundred years. This soaring, cut limestone bell tower is a prominent feature in the cityscape.

VIEW MAP

2 Lady Ln, Waterford, Ireland

Directions

Share this Photo