Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña History in Havana, Cuba - Encircle Photos

Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña History in Havana, Cuba

The British occupation of Havana did not last long after their victory in 1762. The Seven Years’ War concluded with the signing of the Treaty of Paris in February, 1763. Part of the global land exchanged brokered in the agreement was Cuba was returned to the Spanish in exchange for Florida. King Charles III of Spain was then determined to enhance the defense of Havana. He ordered an additional fort adjacent to El Morro. By the time Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña (Fort of Saint Charles) was finished along the eastern side of the harbor in 1774, the wall stretched nearly 2,300 feet. This was the largest Spanish fort in the Americas. La Cabaña now hosts three museums: The Command Headquarters of Che Cuevara, the Museum of Arms and a fort history museum.

VIEW MAP

La Cabaña, La Habana, Cuba

Directions

Share this Photo