Fort Snelling was established in 1819 on a cliff overlooking the conflux of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers. The citadel’s namesake was the first commanding officer and architect, Colonel Josiah Snelling. It took until 1824 for the soldiers from the 5th Infantry Regiment to finalize the construction of the fortification’s buildings. This fort and other structures within the unorganized territory served various military roles until it was decommissioned in 1994. It is now a park managed by the Minnesota Historical Society.