The first governor of Martinique ordered the building of a fortress in 1638 to protect the island. It was rebuilt in 1669 and then suffered numerous attacks by the Dutch and British for nearly 150 years. Over the centuries, it has been called Fort Edward, Fort Royal and Fort de la Republique. Today, Fort Saint Louis is an active base for the French National Navy. Sections of the historic fort can be toured.