Prior to 1417, the Sciberras Peninsula was nothing more than a rocky promontory surrounded by two natural bays on the island of Malta. In that year, a simple post was built pointing towards the Mediterranean. A larger one was constructed by the Aragonese in 1488. It was named after the patron saint of sailors: Saint Erasmus of Formia. After the Invasion of Gozo by the Ottoman Empire in 1551, Fort Saint Elmo was constructed within six months, one of the first buildings by the Knights of Saint John. Notice the people swimming in the Marsamxett Harbour while others are enjoying this view of the St. Gregory Bastion along the lower Fort St. Elmo.