Fort Oranje and Cannon in Kralendijk, Bonaire - Encircle Photos

Fort Oranje and Cannon in Kralendijk, Bonaire

Fort Oranje was built by the Dutch during the 17th century. The fortress was rebuilt almost 200 years later and armed with cannons from a British Navy warship that ran aground off the coast. Those guns were reclaimed by the British a few years later (1807 – 1816) and the four current ones were added. Fort Orange served as the governor’s home until 1837. In 1868, a wooden lighthouse was constructed. It was replaced with this 32 foot, stone version in 1932. This National Monument and Bonaire’s oldest building is now a courthouse. The tower serves as the harbormaster’s office. The fort’s name honors the Netherland’s House of Orange royal family.


Kaya C.E.B. Hellmund & Plaza Wilhelmina, Kralendijk, Caribbean Netherlands


Share this Photo