Fort Frederick in St. George’s, Grenada - Encircle Photos

Fort Frederick in St. George’s, Grenada

The French Navy had a decisive victory over the British Royal Navy during the Battle of Grenada on July 6, 1779. Soon after recapturing the island, the French began building Fort Frederick on Richmond Hill. Fearing an attack from inland – a tactic the French had used to win the battle – they pointed their cannons toward the island rather than the harbor. This unusual configuration earned the citadel the nickname Backward-facing Fort. Ironically, the fort became British property after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1783. The cannons never fired a shot during battle. Fort Frederick is small yet well preserved and worth visiting.

VIEW MAP

Fort Frederick, Richmond Hill, St. George's, Grenada

Directions

Share this Photo