In the mid-16th century, Cardinal Tavera established a Catholic hospital and orphanage dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. This Florentine Renaissance building by architect Alonso de Covarrubias began in 1541 but was not finished until 1603. The church was rebuilt in 1762. Inside it is Cardinal Tavera’s white marble crypt. Hospital de Tavera is now a fine arts museum managed by the Museum Foundation of Lerma. It is owned by the House of Medinaceli, a Spanish family of nobles dating back to the Middle Ages.