Former Saint Thomas Hospital in Málaga, Spain

Often after defeating the Moors in an Iberian Peninsula city, the Catholic Monarchs would establish a charity hospital. Málaga’s version was founded in 1505 by Don Diego García de Hinestrosa, the governor of the city at the time. The institution was dedicated to Saint Thomas the Apostle. After an earthquake in 1884 crippled the first building, this Gothic-Mudéjar version was created by architect Juan Nepouceno Ávila and finished in 1891. Santo Tomás Hospital closed in 1972. Apparently, the patient wards, operating room and the early 15th century chapel have remained untouched.

VIEW MAP

Calle Santa Maria, 31, 29015 Málaga, Spain

Directions

Share this Photo