Many of the late 19th century homes along Germain Street are similar to these brick rowhouses. This three-unit complex with a Second Empire design was constructed for the Bullock family in 1888. In the center lived Joseph Bullock, owner of prosperous Eastern Oil until the company was acquired by Imperial Oil in 1900. In number 183 lived his son, Thomas, a mayor of Saint John from 1908 until 1910. His other son John live in number 187.