This triangular skyscraper in Manhattan was called the Fuller Building when it opened in 1902. The name honored George A. Fuller who had died two years before. Fuller is credited with designing techniques for building skyscrapers. When this steel structure covered by terracotta was finished, it was praised by some and panned by others. Now, the Flatiron Building is considered an architectural jewel of the Flatiron District and an icon of New York City.