Many tourists return to the parking lot near the lighthouse before reaching the Fishermen’s Monument. They miss seeing this labor of love by William E. deGarthe. He was born in Finland in 1907 and emigrated to Canada at 19 where he found work in Montreal. Within three years he moved to Nova Scotia. Between jobs as an illustrator and in advertising, he perfected his paintings portraying the coastline and the people who relied on the sea. He first visited Peggy’s Cove in 1931. In 1948, he bought a summer house here. It became permanent in 1955. 20 years later, he was inspired to create Fishermen’s Monument. The carving in granite depicts 32 fishermen and their families guarded by Saint Elmo, the patron saint of seafarers. The work was unfinished when deGarthe died in 1983. His adjacent home is now a museum displaying about 65 of his artworks.