In 1860, the Grand Lodge of England granted the petition to establish Victoria Lodge No. 1085. The cornerstone for the city’s first Masonic hall was laid 18 years later. The temple was designed by John Teague, the same architect who drew plans for the nearby Victoria City Hall. The pediment of their lodge on Fisgard Street proudly displays the Square and Compasses, the universal symbol of Freemasons.