First Church of Otago Façade in Dunedin, New Zealand - Encircle Photos

24 First Church of Otago Façade in Dunedin, New Zealand

The Free Church of Scotland was established in 1843 after a large congregation broke away from the Church of Scotland. A main reason the Otago Association sailed to New Zealand and founded the Dunedin colony in 1848 was for freedom to practice their new religion. The early settlers built three, successively larger churches during the first 25 years. Then Robert Lawson won a design competition to build a grand Gothic-style church reminiscent of Norman cathedrals. First Church of Otago was finished atop Bell Hill in 1873. The Presbyterian church’s most prominent feature is a 185 foot spire (which was unfortunately beneath scaffolding). The pinnacles and façade’s upper section were crafted from Oamaru stone while the lower part was quarried in Port Chalmers.

VIEW MAP

415 Moray Pl, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand

Directions

Share this Photo